7 Tips on How to Keep Fat Off Following Liposuction
Liposuction is an effective way to remove fat from targeted areas, but one cannot neglect following a healthy diet and exercise plan after the procedure is completed. Patients who do not follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen afterwards are more likely to gain weight.
The cosmetic surgical procedure is not a guarantee against weight gain so if you want to maintain your figure after surgery, you must develop healthy eating and exercise habits. Here are 7 tips for maintaining your figure following liposuction. While these tips may help you maintain the results of your liposuction surgery, you should always follow the advice of your physician and surgeon.
- Eat healthy. Cut down on carbohydrates, sugars, and saturated fat. Rather than trying to eat less, focus on eating more vitamin and mineral-rich foods. Fresh fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, whole grains, and lean protein are essential for a healthy diet.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day. Think eight, eight-ounce glasses of water each day, although this amount may vary depending on your body size and requirements. Consult your physician to determine how much water is ideal for you. If you stay sufficiently hydrated, you can maintain a healthy metabolism rate and aid digestion. Furthermore, water controls your sensations of hunger.
- Don’t skip meals. A nutritious breakfast is the cornerstone of a healthy diet because it keeps hunger pangs at bay and prevents you from overeating later in the day.
- Get your carbohydrates from whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables. These are the healthiest sources of carbohydrates because they keep your blood sugar levels balanced, preventing you from experiencing hunger pangs and cravings.
- Eat several small meals throughout the day. Eating smaller meals spread throughout the day maintains your energy levels and prevents you from feeling deprived of food in between meals. Eating small meals also prevents you from overeating during meals.
- Get enough exercise, preferably every day for at least 20-30 minutes or according to your physician's advice. Please be careful of exercise while you recover - vigorous exercises should be avoided until your physician gives you approval. However, you may walk at a leisurely pace in days following your surgery to prevent blood clots and other complications.
- Get a gym membership and invest in some new gym clothes to motivate yourself to work out on a regular basis. You can also set up a walking club with friends and family to motivate yourself to walk on a daily basis.
View Photo Gallery