What is Nail Fungus Treatment?
Nail fungus is commonly caused by a group of microbes from the dermatophytes family, and it can also be caused by yeast and mold infections. Dermatophytes, yeast and mold are all forms of fungi.
Conventional medicine has largely failed to offer a cure. Both topical and oral treatments have proven unsuccessful, providing temporary relief at best. In addition, orally prescribed medication has been associated with harmful side effects. Thankfully, laser has emerged as a treatment method which can provide long-awaited and long-term relief to those who suffer from this unsightly, life-limiting, and often painful condition.
How is Nail Fungus Treated?
Most forms of fungi are highly sensitive to light and variation in temperature. This is why mushrooms grow best in cool, damp, dark places. This knowledge evolved into using an Nd:YAG laser to treat nail fungus, as it bombards the infection with both heat and light.
At TCC, we use the Fotona SP Dynamis Nd:YAG, which distributes heat evenly throughout the depth of the affected nail and skin tissues, killing or weakening the fungi spores. The light is applied in a circular motion, covering the entire surface of the nail as well as the area around the nail, which is also often infected by these parasitical organisms.
The fungal spores are destroyed at 60°C. The highly precise Nd:YAG laser creates micro-pulses of heat in a range just above this temperature. Because of the spacing and the brevity of these accurate pulses, you may feel only a slight warming sensation, and minimal discomfort. The light delivered by the laser causes further photo damage and destruction of the fungus. The Nd:YAG laser is fatal to the light-and-heat-sensitive fungi, while causing no injury or pain to you.